Mobile applications are our lifelines. Besides, custom mobile app development promises more intuitive and smarter responses to make our lives easier. Finding the nearest locations to receive alerts on amazing deals when passing by a store is now possible. Thus, a location-based service (LBS) comes into play.
LBS is a software service in mobile application development that provides notifications about geographic location. Yet, geofencing acts as a game-changer. This can provide real-time data on geographic areas.
In this blog, we will learn about LBS in custom mobile app development by exploring geofencing and more.
So, let’s dive deeper into the topic!
Location-Based Services in Custom Mobile App Development: Starting With Basics
What are location-based services?
LBS is all about providing real-time information regarding geographic locations. This software service works on gathering geodata by tracking the location of devices.
Besides all, LBS is effectively used by several marketers to promote ads across specific geographic locations. For instance, a survey reported the spending on location-based mobile advertising in the US market is 32 billion dollars in 2023.
The stats above show how dynamic the LBS market is in the custom mobile app development landscape.
Further, mobile application development companies use this feature to enhance their sales and productivity. This is because LBS in mobile app development uses geolocation technology to provide personalized services. Meanwhile, in this way, this software service can enhance user experience as a whole.
Above all, another core feature of LBS is navigation in custom mobile application development.
It has a vast scope extending from the healthcare industries to restaurants, the entertainment world, and tourism industries. Surprisingly, the market of location-based services expects USD 95.66 billion by 2030. This is a remarkable growth a Custom mobile app development firm should follow.
How they work
Custom mobile application development services use geolocation technologies to spot the user’s location or any services. Further, LBS-based mobile applications use cellular data, Wi-Fi, or GPS to send geographic information. Application developers enabled GPS features while developing a mobile app to access location-specific information.
However, both Android and iOS have location-based services as an in-built feature. By using these, custom mobile application development further focuses on enabling maps or location-based APIs.
Technologies used in designing LBS-based Custom Mobile App Development
As discussed above, LBS uses geolocation technologies for custom mobile application development. These technologies are categorized into two main forms: indoor and outdoor geolocation technologies.
Indoor technologies encompass geofencing, Eddystone, and iBeacon.
However, outdoor geolocation services include GPS or Global Positioning System, cell tower data, and Wi-Fi.
Features of LBS
Adopting LBS for custom mobile app development follows a range of features.
- Enabling Maps: LBS helps track an individual’s latest location by accessing maps.
- Filtered information: In custom mobile app development, LBS can enable users to utilize the data they require. Meanwhile, this is a filter version of location-based data.
- Push Alerts: LBS makes it possible for mobile application users to get alerts on various events by using geographic data. For instance, users can get notifications on weather or climatic changes as well.
- Personalized recommendation: Mobile application development companies are implementing LBS to track user location, views, or events. Further, this may help to generate personalized suggestions.
Understanding Geofencing: The Core Of LBS
What is Geofencing
Geofencing is all about creating a virtual boundary based on a real-world location. For instance, whenever you cross or enter the boundary, some notifications based on the coupons may pop-up.
Meanwhile, building a virtual fence around a location requires technologies like GPS, Wi-Fi, Cellular data, and RFID or radio-frequency identification. Geofencing typically covers areas like a building, zip code, or city block.
Significantly, the market of geofencing is expected to grow by US$ 9,596.6 Million by 2032. This shows how this technology has become widely popular.
However, this technology enables data analysis based on real-time monitoring. This may enhance advertising activity with geofencing by using these real-time data.
How does it work
Custom mobile app development companies need to locate the desired geographic region where they want user engagement. Further, application developers create geofencing around that location. To do this they use specialized software applications. Meanwhile, when customers visit the location, they receive location-specific notifications.
However, users need to share their location details while activating geofencing. Further, this requires push notifications as well. This shows how user participation is crucial for geofencing.
Geofencing is the best fit for custom mobile app development. This is because virtual fencing is customizable based on different trigger types. Yet, this depends on mobile devices as well. So, let’s find out what those triggers are.
Based on the positions of mobile devices, these may be Static, Dynamic, and Peer-to-peer. Meanwhile, static triggers work on fixed areas. Dynamic triggers rely on changing the position of devices. Further, this may create notifications based on changing data streams. However, peer-to-peer depends on other users’ device position in relation to a specific user.
On the other hand, there are other triggers like entering, exiting, and staying within a geofence. These activities can trigger such notifications when the user’s device is around geofencing.
Benefits of Geofencing
A survey reports that 53% of customers visit a retail store after receiving location-based notifications on their cell phones. This is where geofencing works. Thus, we can say that geofencing comes with a range of benefits. So, let’s check what they are.
1. Great customer reach: Geofencing helps in reaching large customer groups by sending emails, texts, or alerts whenever they are on the range. This is a great technology often used by marketers for various advertising purposes. Further, this virtual fencing allows the hyper location to find the exact location users want to visit.
2. Accuracy and Precision: Mobile application development company uses geofencing due to their high accuracy. Meanwhile, this software technology is very precise about finding desired locations such as a building or any zip code.
3. Collaboration with marketing platforms: Geofencing technology can collaborate with different marketing platforms. Further, this strategy may help in developing the omni-channel advertising process. Reaching in-market customers is now easier with geofencing.
4. Mobile-friendly applications: Geofencing as a software service is highly compatible with smartphones or mobile devices. Moreover, custom mobile app development companies deploy geofencing to activate tracking, marketing, or data collection facilities.
5. Better Tracking: Geofencing encourages better tracking and monitoring facilities. For instance, security, HR, and fleet management integrate this technology to track people in a better way.
Exploring Beyond Geofencing: Advancement in LBS Technologies
The process of technological advancement is continuous and ongoing. Meanwhile, the same is true for LBS technologies. This technology is evolving to the next level to provide more engaging and interactive user experiences.
Reaching a destination inside an indoor location by using mobile phones is not a future talk. This is the scenario of advanced technology that goes beyond geofencing. Meanwhile, advanced LBS technology is more than just finding or reaching any spot. This is about better and personalized experiences.
Nowadays navigation inside any building or specific location is possible with an indoor positioning system. Further, this system uses beacons that emit Bluetooth signals. In combination with indoor maps, beacons give better navigation.
This is a world of digital-physical blends. Augmented reality (AR) takes LBS to another level. Meanwhile, this advanced technology displays real-world information while pointing phone cameras into a specific location.
Heading toward a smart-future
Apart from all, LBS technologies are integrating AI and ML to anticipate user needs besides location-specific responses. Such smart technologies use predictive analytics by learning user preferences to generate personalized recommendations. It’s a smart move towards a better world.
Safety and Security while using LBS
For custom mobile app development, location-based services enhance user experience. It offers facilities like tracking, monitoring locations, security, and marketing activities. Further, geofencing is a ground-breaking technology, acting as a backbone of LBS technology. This technology enhances customer reach. However, AI, ML, and AR combined with LBS technology are something beyond geofencing. These smart technologies offer a more secure and personalized user experience.